Seaweeds of the West Coast (Weekend Field-Course)
Topics to be covered:
• Introduction to seaweeds - what are they, and what is their role in coastal ecology?
• Biodiversity and ecology of west coast seaweeds
• Essentials of collecting and identifying seaweeds in the field
• Seaweed foraging and the relationship between seaweeds and people
• Pressing and preserving seaweeds
• Introductory presentation: An overview of west coast seaweeds, different seaweed groups, role of seaweeds in coastal marine ecosystems.
• Field trip to explore seaweeds on Tofino’s rocky coast and practice naturalist skills, including fundamentals of seaweed identification.
• Collection of seaweeds at field site - bring journals and cameras to record habitat info.
• Seaweed identification and pressing workshop. 421 Main Street, Tofino
• Practice using dichotomous keys, field guides and online databases to identify unknown specimens.
• Create your own scientific and artistic seaweed presses.
• Seaweeds and people: from traditional uses to modern foraging, and everything in between
• Putting it all together: field trip to identify seaweeds and their communities in nature, including opportunities to share what you’ve learned with the group. Group lunch and course wrap-up.
How to register:
Lit aliquae quibus modis adit voluptur simus expeliq uiatquas earibusanis auteelit, sim
volorum eosti apereritat. Ut doluptae verum fugiasp ersperi onectatus aci quisciuntur am que et quid expliqu asperio. Et et apient, ut reriorest oditia porum volupta del moditatur aligendis sandandae poreea quia derum dolorepudit.