Mushrooms of the West Coast - October 2018
Topics to be covered include:
- Introduction to fungi - what are they, and what is their role in our forests?
- Essentials of collecting & identifying fungi in the field
- Edible, medicinal, and poisonous fungi
- Cooking wild mushrooms with Chef Ian Riddick, Executive Chef at the Great Room.
• Introductory presentation for mushroom course participants - overview of wild mushrooms, different fungus groups, role of fungi in ecosystems & mushroom identification.
Saturday (8am - 9pm, with breaks)
• Field collection of wild mushrooms at field site.
• Sorting of mushroom collections, spore prints, microscope ID session. Cooking wild mushrooms with Chef Ian Riddick, Executive Chef at the Great Room at Long Beach Lodge Resort.
• That Mushroom looks delicious! Will it kill me?
Sunday (8am - 1pm)
• Field collection and identification of wild mushrooms at field site. Group lunch and course wrap-up.
Instructor Andy MacKinnonis a forest ecologist formerly with the BC Forest Service in Victoria. His fields of study include BC’s native plants, fungi, and lichens. Andy is co-author of six field guides to plants of western North America.