Mushrooms of the West Coast - October 2022
This weekend field course will introduce participants to the wonderful world of West Coast Mushrooms.
Hosted by Dr. Andy MacKinnon and Dr. Kem Luther (co-authors of "Mushrooms of BC"), this course offers a weekend exploring the wonderful world of Mushrooms. The course will cover topics from an introduction to fungi (what are they, and what is their role in our forests?), essentials of collecting and identifying fungi in the field, edible, medicinal, and poisonous fungi, cooking with wild mushrooms, and more!
Friday (7:00 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Presentation – overview of wild mushrooms, different fungus groups, role of fungi in ecosystems, and mushroom identification.
Saturday (9:00 am – 4:30 pm, and 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Field collection of wild mushrooms at field site.
- Group lunch (provided).
- Sorting of mushroom collections, spore prints, microscope ID session.
- Mushroom cooking demonstration and tasting.
- Evening presentation on foraging and identifying edible mushrooms.
Sunday (9:00 am – 1:00 pm)
- Field collection and identification of wild (edible) mushrooms.
- Group lunch (provided) and course wrap-up.
$250 per person. Includes lunch on both Saturday and Sunday.
How to register:
Register through the link below.